- Life at Tech
- Application Deadlines
- Standardized Test Scores
- Extracurricular Involvement
- School Report
- Optional Factors
- Factors Not Considered
- Home School
- President's Scholarship
- Honors Program
- Advanced Course Credit
- Programs for High Schoolers
- Apply Online
- Check Application Status
- Find Your Counselor
- Costs, Aid & Scholarships
- Tech In Action
- Get More Info
Standardized Test Scores
Standardized test scores have a place in the admission process at Georgia Tech, as our own research has shown that they factor in to predicting a portion of freshman year success at the Institute. For this reason, all applicants for freshman admission must take the SAT and/or the ACT. We accept both tests and have no preference between the two.
Evaluating your Test Scores
We use all three portions of the SAT and/or the three equivalent parts of the ACT, as outlined below. We do not use the ACT Composite score nor the Science or Reading score.
- SAT Critical Reading = ACT English
- SAT Math = ACT Math
- SAT Writing = ACT Combined English/Writing
Only your highest section scores from either test will be viewed in the evaluation process. Additionally, your highest combination of scores may come from tests taken on different dates. For example, your high test scores may include SAT Critical Reading from March, ACT Math from October and ACT Combined English/Writing from December. Each time you submit new scores to us, we will update your record with your highest scores.
Sending your Test Scores
Official test scores must be sent directly to Georgia Tech from the testing agency. Use the following codes to request that your scores be sent to us:
- School Code for the SAT: 5248
- School Code for the ACT: 0818
When You Should Test
The final test date that will be considered in your application review depends on the round in which you choose to apply. For each application round, the latest test dates that will be considered are specified below.
|Freshman Application Date||Final Test Date Accepted*|
|October 15||All tests through the end of November|
|December 15||All tests through the end of December|
|January 10||All tests through the end of December|
*Scores must be requested at the time the test is taken to ensure they are received on time for consideration in this round.
*Scores received after November 30 will not be used in the Early Action round.
*Scores received after December 31 will not be used in the Regular Decision round.
Our advice for completing this portion of the application
- Take both tests! Many students feel more comfortable with one testing format over the other, resulting in higher scores!
- Send us your scores when you take the test – don’t wait! Your scores may fluctuate with each test instance, but we will only use the highest section in our review of your application. Delaying sending us your scores could put you at risk of missing an application date or being excluded from information sent from our office.
- Tell us on the application if you are retaking a test after your submission date that we could consider when making a decision on your file.