FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How do I get on the wait list?
Students who are offered a place on the wait list may choose whether or not to accept it. Those who accept their space are those we consider "on the wait list." You must choose whether or not to accept your place on the wait list by April 6, 2014.
- What does it mean if my admission decision is “wait list"?
In reviewing your application, it was clear that you have qualities that could make you an excellent student at Georgia Tech. However, we are unable to accept every student who is capable of being successful on campus due to our incoming class size. Each year some students who are offered admission do not accept their space. In this event, we may be able to offer their spot to a student like you.
- Can I submit my mid-year report?
First, check BuzzPort to see if we have already received this information. If we do not have it, please request that your counselor submit as soon as possible.
- Can students on the wait list submit additional information?
Only information originally submitted with your application will be considered.
- Can students on the wait list send letters of recommendation?
Only letters of recommendation originally submitted with your application will be considered.
- Can students on the wait list schedule an interview with someone in the admission office?
No. Interviews are not part of the admission process at Georgia Tech.
- How many students are on the wait list?
In 2013, approximately 2,600 students were offered a place on the wait list. 1,700 chose to accept their place.
- How many students are accepted off the wait list?
Every year is different, and we cannot predict this year. We have had years where we have offered several hundred students a spot in the freshman class, and years where we have not been able to offer to anyone.
- Does Georgia Tech rank the wait list?
Georgia Tech does not use a ranking system to make offers from the wait list. We will offer admission to students from the wait list in an effort to shape our class to meet institutional needs and priorities.
- When will students on the wait list know if they will be offered admission?
Students will be contacted by phone and email as soon as we know space is available (typically throughout the month of May). Our goal is to finalize our freshman class by June 1.
- If you don't contact students on the wait list until after May 1, how will I be able to make a deposit on time?
Students who are on the wait list should make a deposit at their second choice school to ensure they have a space reserved somewhere. Georgia Tech will allow students accepted from the wait list to make a deposit after May 1 and will give them a deadline for deposit at the time of offer. If you are offered admission to Georgia Tech and choose to deposit here after May 1, you will likely forfeit your deposit at the other school.
- Will students accepted from the wait list get campus housing?
Yes, campus housing is available for all incoming freshman.
- Are students accepted from the wait list considered for financial aid?
If you are accepted from the wait list, you should contact the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid (404.894.4160) to reactivate your previously submitted financial aid application(s). You will then receive information on your eligible financial aid. However, the reality is that often financial aid packages available to students offered admission from the wait list are limited to student loans.